Thursday, January 8, 2009

Christy update, kind of.

A while back I mentioned my friend Christy being very sick: http://wesleyja.blogspot.com/2008/09/disappearing-breaths.html
It had been a couple of months since I had spent time with her until last night when I visited her at her new house for a bit and today when I went with her and her kids to Dave and Busters. She acts the same as she always has over the 3 or 4 years that I have known her. Since last night I have been wondering whether or not she may be experiencing some kind of denial. Consider the Five Stages of Grief, the first being Denial. The other four are Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance. These are stages that most people go through when they find out that they are going to die. Christy speaks of what she would like to be doing a few years from now even though she told me a few months ago that she only has about a year or so to live. I don't understand and don't know whether or not I should ask her how she is doing.

2 comments:

Norma said...

UHmmm, I don't know. Time will tell if you don't feel comfortable asking her.

Sarah said...

This is tough. I remember learning about those stages and have kids that have experienced similar things with loved ones. The best thing to do, as always, is love her and be there. It is up to her to grow and move through the "stages," but your being there without pushing her will help tremendously.