Monday, June 16, 2008

Lifegroup

Every Wednesday night a group of about 5-10 people meet at Julia's http://juliaflorio.blogspot.com/ apartment to eat and read the Bible together. We call this a lifegroup for some good reason. For a while I have been the one designated to facilitate discussion of the passages we read. However, over the past few months I have been seeing more and more of a need for me to be taught, specifically by the elders of Sovereign Grace Baptist Church. I like the way Helmut Thielicke describes 'theological puberty' in his A Little Excercise for Young Theologians. He says that just as a boy would not sing during puberty, when his voice is changing, neither should a young theologian teach when his 'theological voice' is changing. Perhaps this is the stage that I am currently in.
Anyway, one of the members of SGBC, Phil, is going to start teaching on Wednesday's which I am thrilled about for two reasons, the first being the awesomeness of Phil's voice which will be heard more now and secondly because Phil is passionate about Bible study and this passion will hopefully spill over to those present on Wednesdays.